Indian Railways will resume ready meals service from today. Check how to place an order through the IRCTC website

New Delhi: Passengers who have encountered difficulties in terms of food during a train journey, here is good news. The Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) is expected to resume ready meals services on Indian Railways passenger trains from Monday. Services have been suspended due to the Covid-19 pandemic in the country.

The cooked food facility on the train has been restored as directed by the railway management.

ALSO READ: Covid Update: India sees huge drop in daily cases, reports 34,113 infections in past 24 hours

“Cooked food has already been restored in 428 trains. Of the total number of trains, cooked food had already been restored in 30% by December 2021, 80% by January 2022, and the remaining 20% ​​will be restored from ‘here on February 14, 2022,” the official communication from the railways said, according to news agency ANI.

Ready meals on premium trains (Rajdhani, Shatabdi, Duronto) had already been reinstated in December 2021. Ready meals would also continue,” the notification reads.

In August last year, the IRCTC launched a ready-to-eat meal service. Cooked food services were restored to 80% of trains in January 2022.

For the first time on March 23, 2020, catering services were suspended as a safety measure due to the Coronavirus pandemic. After witnessing a drop in the Covid-19 positivity rate in the country, ready-to-eat meals began on trains on August 5, 2020.

Check the steps to order food through the IRCTC website

  1. First visit the official IRCTC eCatering website https://www.ecatering.irctc.co.in/
  2. Then enter the 10-digit PNR number and click the arrow to continue
  3. Select the food from the list of available cafes, outlets, and quick service restaurants.
  4. You can place the order and select the payment method. Either you can choose to pay online or cash on delivery.
  5. Once the order is placed, the food will be delivered to your seat/berth.